As it does each year with the McRib sandwich, McDonald’s is at its best and most profitable when it is manufacturing scarcity by making marginally popular products only available for limited runs, for just a few weeks at a time.
So goes the “Shamrock Shake,” that 530 liquid calorie bomb made with vanilla soft serve ice cream base, some vaguely minty green goop, whipped cream, and a cherry. It’s a drink that has its rabid fan base of customers, who drink the stuff by the bucketful in the weeks leading up to St. Patrick’s Day.
This year, the hamburger giant is doing us all one better. That is, um, five better. Variations on the minty green theme include the…
- Original Shamrock Shake: Made with vanilla ice cream, mint syrup, whipped cream, and a cherry.
- Chocolate Shamrock Shake: Two layers of shakiness, with chocolate shake on the bottom, and Shamrock Shake on the top, with whipped cream, green sugar bits, and a squirt of chocolate syrup.
- Shamrock Chocolate Chip Frappe: Chocolate and caramel shake, blended with chocolate chips and Shamrock Shake syrup, with whipped cream, sugar bits, and chocolate syrup.
- Shamrock Hot Chocolate: Hot chocolate (milk and chocolate syrup) with Shamrock Shake syrup.
- New Shamrock Mocha: Chocolate syrup, espresso, hot milk, and shamrock shake syrup.
McDonald’s is rolling out these new Shamrock Shake lineup now, for a limited time. Have you tried one of the new versions yet? Or if not, are you interested in trying them?